-The long California drought ended with the 2022/2023 winter rains, but the end of drought doesn’t mean the end of the threat of wildfires. Overgrowth of vegetation, fed by the rains, is now starting to dry and fire season is approaching and it’s important to start protecting property now, says Steve Dodson from Wildhorse Propane & Appliances, the Paso Robles propane supplier.
As wildfires continue to pose a significant threat to communities, it’s essential to prioritize safety measures to protect lives, property, and the environment. For those who rely on propane and their propane tanks, it’s crucial to understand and implement wildfire safety practices.
- Clear and maintain defensible space: Maintaining a clear and defensible space around the propane tank is vital for preventing fire spread. Clear any flammable vegetation, debris, or combustible materials within at least 10 feet of the tank. This includes dead leaves, branches, or tall grass. Regularly trim vegetation and maintain a clean and well-manicured area around the tank to minimize fire risks.
- Properly securing propane tanks can help prevent them from becoming dislodged during a wildfire. Anchor above-ground tanks securely to a solid foundation using approved methods. Underground tanks should have proper protective barriers in place to prevent damage from heat or flames. The Paso Robles propane supplier can inspect and secure the tank for propane customers who are not sure the tank is properly secured. .
- Establishing a buffer zone around the entire property can act as a protective barrier during wildfires. Consider creating a non-combustible zone around your home and propane tank by using materials such as gravel, concrete, or pavers. This helps prevent fire from reaching the tank and reduces the risk of ignition.
- Conduct regular inspections of your propane tank and associated equipment to ensure they are in proper working condition. Check for leaks, damaged hoses or connectors, and signs of wear and tear. Schedule routine maintenance with a qualified propane professional to address any issues promptly. Proper maintenance not only ensures the safety of your tank but also enhances its overall efficiency and performance.
- Install automatic shut-off systems. These systems are designed to activate when they detect excessive heat or flames, shutting off the propane flow and reducing the risk of fire or explosion. Consult with the Paso Robles propane supplier or fire safety expert to determine the most suitable automatic shut-off system.
- During wildfire events, it’s crucial to stay informed about local authorities’ guidelines and evacuation orders. Follow their instructions and guidance regarding propane tank safety and use. If instructed to evacuate, shut off the propane supply at the tank and follow established evacuation procedures.
- Communicate with emergency services. In wildfire-prone areas, it’s beneficial to establish communication with local fire departments or emergency services. Inform them about the presence and location of your propane tank, allowing them to prioritize their response and take necessary precautions in case of a wildfire. They can also provide valuable advice and recommendations tailored to your specific situation.
Propane is a safe fuel for daily use for a variety of applications from the home kitchen and heating to industrial uses. But, like everything else, the tanks can be damaged by wildfire, making an emergency situation even worse. Taking the time to protect property and propane tanks from the threat of wildfire, or any fire, is a smart move.
The team from Wildhorse Propane is available to answer questions about propane and propane tank safety, inspect the tanks, and make sure necessary safety features are in place. Serving all of Monterey County and portions of San Luis Obispo and Santa Cruz counties since 1980. The local, family-owned business services include:
- Filling tanks on RVs, forklifts, farm equipment and vehicles.
- Appliance sales.
- Gas line installation.
- 24-hour emergency services.
Wildhorse Propane & Appliance
50557 Wildhorse Road
King City CA, 93930